Sunday 24 July 2011

Ceiling fan cum desert cooler

We were asked to take inspiration from a desert cooler and make changes in the ceiling fan such that its blades held moisture and helped make a room cooler. I decided to use sponge on the blades of the fan to hold moisture. But if I covered the entire blade in sponge, the purpose of the blade being thin and able to cut through air would be lost. So I decided to put sponge only on the two long edges. Then I had to figure out how to dampen the sponge. So I decided to put create some sort of dripping system from the motor itself. Water would drop from the down through a thin pipe, into a container in the rotating shaft. That would have a second pipe that infiltrates the sponge and keeps it damp. The two pipes had to be separated because otherwise they would get very tangled when the fan rotated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment