Wednesday 27 July 2011

Materials for the ceiling fan


I had to decide what kind of sponge to use on the fan. The sponge needed to be tough to survive through being damp and turning at high speed for hours. It also needed to absorb water well and become wet easily without the use of too much water. It also had to hold onto this water well without dripping. And my last but so important criteria was that it shouldn’t take too long to after the fan was turned off. This way there was less chance of algae, etc.
 I chose 3 sponges to test on. I cut small thin sections of them and then dropped droplets of water on them and shook them vigorously (at this point, I did not have access to a fan). I counted the number of drops I needed to damp the sponge. While shaking it, I checked whether the water dripped or not, and finally how long it took for the sponge to dry.

Green sponge- The green sponge was tough and thin perfect for putting on the blades of a fan. Except it water porous and didn’t hold water.

Pink sponge- the pink sponge was extremely durable and but very thick. Even a thin section of the sponge did not allow penetration of water. A lot of water was required to dampen it.

Yellow sponge- was the softest and most delicate sponge therefore it was not durable at all. But it absorbed water really well, held it and then dried up very quickly as well.

I am going to use the yellow sponge. It reduces chances of rusting or algae because it dries up very quickly but might need to be changed every now and then. This should not be a very big disadvantage because the sponge is very cheap. 

No comments:

Post a Comment